*Warning* This story contains material that some viewers may find disturbing due to the graphic nature.
LOXAHATCHEE GROVES, FL (CNN Newsource) – A dog was found buried alive under a pile of air conditioners in the Bahamas one month after Hurricane Dorian devastated the area.
Someone using infrared heat-seeking technology on a drone found the dog by happenstance.
Big Dog Ranch’s Search and Rescue team located the dog in Marsh Harbour, Bahamas.
Lauree Simmons, the president of Big Dog Ranch, said they’re naming the dog “Miracle” because it’s a miracle he is still alive.
Miracle arrived at Big Dog Ranch Rescue on Friday afternoon.
“Underneath an AC unit, he was trapped since the storm. And he is just totally emaciated. He’s been there since the storm because he is emaciated; nothing but a bag of bones. And still waggin’ his tail. I want everybody to know the crisis for the Bahamas is not over,” Simmons said.
It’s the rescue team’s 12th mission since Dorian ravaged parts of the Bahamas in September. They also brought 1,200 pounds of food for people and animals.
Big Dog Ranch Rescue says they’ve now rescued and evacuated 138 dogs.
If you want to help or adopt a dog, visit BDRR.org.
- FBI worker’s death in NC mountains is called ‘suspicious’
- Changes to Green Beret course draw scrutiny as troops are tested in NC woods
- Woman killed in her home as police fire through window, family seeks answers
- 10-year-old girl dies after she’s ‘ejected’ from fair ride in New Jersey
- 3-year-old girl kidnapped from birthday party, Amber Alert issued
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now