FAYETTEVILLE, AR (KNWA) — The officer who was shot and killed in Fayetteville last night has been identified as well as the suspect who shot him.
The officer has been identified as Fayetteville Police Officer Stephen Carr.
Around 9:40 p.m. Saturday, shots were fired in the back parking lot of the Fayetteville Police Department located on Rock Street.
Chief Reynolds said that Carr was “ambushed and executed” while sitting inside his patrol car behind the police department.
The suspect has been identified as London Phillips.
Two officers responded and fired shots at Phillips. Phillips was pronounced deceased.
The officers are on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation.
- Teachers, health care workers among many in Triangle updating wills amid COVID-19
- ‘You have to do something’: Many understanding of mask, social distancing crackdown at UNC
- 4 inches of rain floods I-40, triggering crashes, closure in Sampson County
- Investigation into police officers underway after Black family wrongly detained
- Special needs, pre-K students will not return to buildings on Sept. 8, Wake County school system says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now