GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Police say a 20-year-old man beat, raped and threatened his pregnant girlfriend with a knife in hopes of killing the fetus.
An arrest affidavit says Joseph Bernard J. Combs was arrested Friday on charges that include attempted murder, sexual battery aggravated assault and kidnapping. He remains jailed on a $3.5 million bond.
The Gainesville Sun reports the woman had been dating Combs for about a year. She is 19 weeks pregnant.
An arrest report says Combs told her, “I can’t let you have my son,” before dragging her into the living room where he punched and kicked her in the abdomen. He threatened to slit her throat and raped her.
Police say the woman suffered extensive bruising in the attack on Friday. A lawyer for Combs wasn’t listed on jail records.
- FBI worker’s death in NC mountains is called ‘suspicious’
- Changes to Green Beret course draw scrutiny as troops are tested in NC woods
- Woman killed in her home as police fire through window, family seeks answers
- 10-year-old girl dies after she’s ‘ejected’ from fair ride in New Jersey
- 3-year-old girl kidnapped from birthday party, Amber Alert issued
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now