GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Police say a 20-year-old man beat, raped and threatened his pregnant girlfriend with a knife in hopes of killing the fetus.
An arrest affidavit says Joseph Bernard J. Combs was arrested Friday on charges that include attempted murder, sexual battery aggravated assault and kidnapping. He remains jailed on a $3.5 million bond.
The Gainesville Sun reports the woman had been dating Combs for about a year. She is 19 weeks pregnant.
An arrest report says Combs told her, “I can’t let you have my son,” before dragging her into the living room where he punched and kicked her in the abdomen. He threatened to slit her throat and raped her.
Police say the woman suffered extensive bruising in the attack on Friday. A lawyer for Combs wasn’t listed on jail records.
- Wilson man dies after being shot in 911 caller’s front yard, police say
- Work-at-home offers are the most-common scam while many in NC are unemployed, BBB says
- Raleigh police investigating hazmat situation at nursing home
- At least 1 pulled from surf at NC coast amid rip current risk
- PHOTOS: Man walking dog along beach finds house washed away in OBX
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now