Chef Ryan McGuire, Chef Instructor of the Chef’s Academy, creates Baba Ghanoush in the Food Lion Kitchen.
my essentials Olive oil
Food Lion Lemon juice
Nature’s Place Garlic,minced
Food Lion Salt
Food Lion Crushed red pepper
1 oz + 1.5oz
|1) Preheat oven to broil.|
2) With a fork, pierce eggplant around the edges 4 or 5 times in various places. Coat the eggplant with the first amount of oil (1oz)
3) Place eggplant on a baking sheet and place pan under the broiler. Allow the skin of the eggplant to become dark and charred on all sides. Use a knife to pierce the eggplant if it is still very firm in the center turn the oven down and put baking pan on the middle rack. Allow the eggplant to cook longer until it is nice and soft.
4) While eggplant is cooking, toast sesame seeds in a dry sauté pan on medium heat over the stove top.
5) Grind the seeds into a paste. A mortar and pestle, coffee grinder or blender may be used for this. Add remaining oil, you’re looking for a peanut butter like consistency. Place paste in a bowl.
6) When eggplant are cool enough to hadle, remove the charred skin and discard. Place interior onto a cutting board and mince to a pulp.
7) Place minced eggplant in the bowl with your sesame paste and add your remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
8) Adjust seasoning if needed and serve with toast or pita.