Chef Ryan McGuire from The Chef’s Academy shows us how to make a delicious pasta and peas.
Pasta & Peas
Yield- 4, 1 Cup portions
Food Lion Whole Grain pasta (penne or rigatoni) – 2C
my essentials Frozen peas- 1/2 C
my essentials Egg- 2
my essentials Butter- 2 Tbs
Pasta Water (reserved) – 1C
Rosemary, chopped fine- 2T
Garlic, minced- 4 cloves
Lemon juice (reserve zest and set aside) – 2T
Food Lion Crushed red pepper- pinch
My essentials Parmesan cheese- 2T
Salt and black pepper- to taste
1) In a medium sized sauce pot, bring salted water to a boil, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain pasta from water with a bowl under your strainer to save the pasta water for a latter step (1Cup).
2) Dry out sauce pot and return to the stove. Add butter to the pan on low-medium heat. Begin to sweat your garlic in the melted butter. Add chopped rosemary and crushed red pepper to the pot and allow to bloom in the butter.
3) Add frozen peas to the pot and stir to incorporate rosemary, garlic and pepper.
4) Add lemon juice and cook until juice is just about absorbed into your peas.
5) In a separate bowl, crack your egg and whisk together. Slowly pour reserved pasta water into your bowl while whisking at the same time. Do this carefully to not scramble your eggs.
6) Add the cooked pasta to your pot with your peas and on low heat add your tempered pasta water and egg mixture back to your pot. Continuously stir pasta, peas and sauce until you notice the sauce begin to thicken. Once the sauce has become thick and has coated the pasta nicely (It should look like reduced cream) take off the heat.
7) Add final seasonings of cracked black pepper, salt and parmesan cheese.