Goldsboro man charged with attempted sex assault day after armed robbery arrest

News
Quentin Bryce Barnes updated mug_228761

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) – A man arrested Thursday in connection with a December armed robbery was arrested during a traffic stop related to a reported attempted sexual assault, Goldsboro police said Friday.RELATED: Goldsboro man arrested, charged for December armed robbery

Goldsboro police announced the arrest of Quentin Bryce Barnes, 31, of 1303 N. George St., on Thursday but didn’t provide details at the time about the reported sexual assault.

The initial press release regarding Barnes’ arrest was related to an incident where he was accused of brandishing a knife and robbing the Family Dollar located at 1403 Wayne Memorial Drive just after 8:15 p.m. on Dec. 10, 2015.

Police said they he was arrested after a traffic stop, but Friday morning they sent a release explaining that the traffic stop occurred after a woman in the 800 block of Olivia Lane reported to Goldsboro police that Barnes had attempted to sexually assault her. The victim gave police a description of the vehicle he was driving and he was located leaving the area.

A traffic stop was conducted and it was determined that Barnes had several outstanding warrants. He was taken into custody on those warrants.

During the investigation into the attempted sexual assault, police determined that Barnes was at the female victim’s house and attempted to sexually assault her with the victim’s young child in the home. The woman was able to fight off Barnes and called the police, which prompted Barnes to flee.

Barnes had already been charged with one felony count of robbery with a dangerous weapon by the Goldsboro Police Department, one felony count of robbery with a dangerous weapon by the Greenville Police Department, and one felony count of obtaining property by false pretense in Wake County.

In addition to those charges, Barnes now faces three more charges – one felony count of attempted second-degree sex offense, one misdemeanor count of assault on a female, and one misdemeanor count of communicating threats.

Barnes was already being held in the Wayne County Detention Center under a $775,000 secured bond. He received an additional $150,000 secured bond and his first court appearance is scheduled for July 25.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss