WASHINGTON, D.C. (NEXSTAR) – Walmart is recalling about 3,900 bottles of room spray after four people were diagnosed with a bacterial infection linked to the product. Two of the victims, including one child, died.
The cases were reported from March to July in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, and Georgia.
Samples taken by CDC from a bottle of the Better Homes and Gardens Lavender & Chamomile aromatherapy room spray in the home of the Georgia victim found the presence of Burkholderia pseudomallei. This bacteria, usually found in contaminated water or soil, is known to cause meliodosis, primarily a disease in tropical climates, according to the CDC.
The aromatherapy room spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores nationwide and online at Walmart.com from February 2021 through October 2021 for about $4. “Better Homes and Gardens Aromatherapy,” is printed on the front label of the 5-ounce glass bottle.
The aromatherapy was sold with a pump spray nozzle in the following scents and product numbers:
- 84140411420 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile
- 84140411421 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lemon and Mandarin
- 84140411422 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lavender
- 84140411423 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Peppermint
- 84140411424 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Lime & Eucalyptus
- 84140411425 Better Homes and Gardens (BHG) Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla
Walmart has stopped the sale of the product.
According to the CDC, anyone who has purchased the product is urged to stop using it immediately. The product should not be thrown away. Instead, consumers are being instructed to return it to the nearest Walmart store double-bagged and boxed.
Customers who have purchased the spray should also clean any fabrics or surfaces that it was used on.
Anyone who has used the product in the past 21 days who experiences a fever or other symptoms, should seek medical care.