ROME — Italy has become the country with the most coronavirus-related deaths, surpassing China by registering 3,405 dead.
Italy reached the gruesome milestone on the same day the epicenter of the pandemic, Wuhan, China, recorded no new infections. Overall, China on Thursday counted 3,249 dead, 156 fewer than Italy, according to the Johns Hopkins University virus map.
Both Italy’s death toll and its new infections shot up again, adding 427 more dead and 5,322 more infections. Overall, Italy has recorded 41,035 infections, more than half of the world’s positive cases.
Italy’s health care system has been overwhelmed by the virus, and on Thursday a visiting Chinese Red Cross team criticized the failure of Italians to fully quarantine and take the national lockdown seriously.
- New mask material created at NC State makes up for shortage of N95, surgical masks
- Automatic driving systems can cause complacency behind the wheel
- Doctor: The current US testing strategy isn’t working
- NC’s private schools face more, larger COVID clusters than public schools
- 12-year-old driver, teen passenger killed in shooting on Tennessee interstate