NEW YORK (AP/WNCN) — A Florida amateur body builder who admitted sending inoperative pipe bombs to prominent Democrats and CNN has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff sentenced Cesar Sayoc after he pleaded guilty to explosives charges for mailing 16 pipe bombs days before the midterm elections last fall.
The one-time stripper and pizza delivery man from Aventura, Florida, apologized to his victims, saying he is “so very sorry for what I did.”
Sayoc says he never intended for the explosives to work when he mailed them to Hillary Clinton, former Vice President Joe Biden, former President Barack Obama, actor Robert De Niro and several members of Congress.
Sayoc, according to a WBTV report, played soccer at UNC-Charlotte in 1983. He was also charged with possession of a stolen vehicle in Mecklenburg County in 1999, police records show.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ‘It has been the greatest honor of my life’: First Lady Melania Trump bids farewell in new video
- Moving truck caught on video outside Trump’s estate in Florida as Biden prepares to take office
- What Joe Biden has promised to do on ‘Day One’ and in his first 100 days as president
- Florida police looking for road-raging bikers who beat driver with wrench, helmets
- Backup cameras need rear automatic braking systems to improve effectiveness