(Tribune Media Wire) – A mother in Kentucky has been accused of selling her baby for $2,000, police said.
Police contacted Maria Domingo-Perez, 31, after officials at Parker Bennett Curry Elementary School in Bowling Green, Kentucky, reported that a woman was giving away a child, police said.
Domingo-Perez initially gave officers “conflicting statements” but police said she later admitted to giving the baby to a man and a woman.
The couple, 37-year-old Catarina Jose Felipe and 45-year-old Jose Manuel Pascual, told detectives they had paid $2,000 for the baby, police said.
Authorities didn’t discuss the gender or age of the baby.
The mother, Felipe and Pascual were arrested and charged with selling/purchasing a child for adoption on Tuesday, police and jail records show.
It was not immediately clear whether the suspects are represented by an attorney yet.
Police said the baby and Domingo-Perez’s other four children are in protective custody.
- $11.5 million in grants awarded to coastal NC for Hurricane Florence damage
- 2 dead after Navy plane crashes in Alabama neighborhood
- NC woman charged with murder after Davison County baby dies following methadone exposure
- 19-year-old killed, 14-year-old injured after shooting in Robeson County
- 2 dead in Alabama naval aircraft crash
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now