WELDON, N.C. (WNCN) — A car driver died and nine children were injured in a head-on wreck involving a sedan and a school activity bus Friday afternoon in Halifax County, officials said.
The wreck was reported just before 4 p.m. and involved a Northampton County Schools activity bus which was headed to a basketball game in Weldon, according to Weldon Police Chief C.G. Davis.
There were 22 students on the bus when the crash happened on Corbitt Drive and Country Club Road in Weldon, Davis said.
Nine of the students were taken to Vidant North for treatment, according to Davis.
He said that the injuries were not serious and included injuries such as bloody noses.
The driver of the Honda who died was not identified.
The North Carolina State Highway Patrol, the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office and the Weldon Fire Department assisted in the case.
As of 6 p.m., crews and officials were still at the scene investigating the crash.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham police department, downtown businesses vandalized following protest
- Retired police captain killed as pawnshop looted
- Gov. Cooper: RNC ‘unlikely’ to happen in Charlotte as organizers want
- Tropical Storm Cristobal forms in Gulf of Mexico
- NC sees COVID-19 hospitalizations jump to highest number amid pandemic
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now