MONCURE, N.C. (WNCN) – Seven people are dead following a murder-suicide on Sunday in Moncure, the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office said.

Deputies first responded to a “shots fired” call off of Moncure Flatwood Road shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Once at the scene, it became apparent that the shooting extended to more than one residence.

The event is not believed to be random but the motive is unknown at this time.

The suspected shooter and victims were all members of the same family, the sheriff’s office said. Investigators worked through the night to process the scene and piece together more details.

So far, a total of seven people have been confirmed dead, including the suspected shooter.

The names of the deceased victims are:

  • Jeanie Ray, 67
  • Helen Mason, 93
  • Ellis Mansfield, 73
  • Lisa Mansfield, 54
  • John Paul Sanderford, 41
  • Nicole Sanderford, 39

Officials said later Monday they believe Larry Don Ray, 66, of the 800 block of Moncure Flatwoods Road, was the gunman in the shootings and that he later shot himself.

“Our hearts go out to the families and friends of the victims of this terrible tragedy,” says Sheriff Mike Roberson. “To lose any family member is devastating, but to lose several at once to unexpected violence is unimaginable. There are no words to describe the sense of loss we feel as a community in the wake of this terrible event.”

The Chatham County Sheriff’s Office and North Carolina SBI remained on scene Monday morning.

Authorities later said that donations can be made at any Wells Fargo bank nationwide to “Flatwood Boys Stay Strong.”

Deputies said the account is “a care fund to help provide for the two surviving teenage sons who lost their parents in the shooting.”