BUTNER, N.C. (WNCN) — An inmate at Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) Butner Low in Butner has died just days after testing positive for COVID-19.
Federal prisons officials say Dongfan Greg Chung, 84, went into respiratory failure at the facility. He was then evaluated and taken to the hospital for treatment.
Chung, who had long-term, pre-existing medical conditions was pronounced dead on May 28.
Chung was serving a 188-month sentence for economic espionage, acting as an agent of a foreign government without prior notification to the attorney general, and false statements. He had been incarcerated at Butner’s prison complex since June 28, 2012.
- Durham police: 9 shot, including child, in 2 separate incidents
- Florida law firm offering free living wills for teachers returning to school amid COVID-19 surge
- NC woman pleads guilty to fatally hitting baby with car, will serve no jail time
- California church says it will defy order limiting services during COVID-19 pandemic
- COVID-19 hospital data to be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC, HHS confirms
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now