BUTNER, N.C. (WNCN) — An inmate at Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) Butner Low in Butner has died just days after testing positive for COVID-19.
Federal prisons officials say Dongfan Greg Chung, 84, went into respiratory failure at the facility. He was then evaluated and taken to the hospital for treatment.
Chung, who had long-term, pre-existing medical conditions was pronounced dead on May 28.
Chung was serving a 188-month sentence for economic espionage, acting as an agent of a foreign government without prior notification to the attorney general, and false statements. He had been incarcerated at Butner’s prison complex since June 28, 2012.
- 21-year-old and juvenile injured in Lumberton shooting
- Portion of Cedar Creek Road in Fayetteville closed due to crash, avoid area
- 1st NC case of new COVID-19 variant detected in Charlotte area
- Teen describes torture and attempt on his life during Grindr date
- Man wounded in shooting along Holloway St. in Durham