Arrest warrant issued for contractor charged with ripping off Youngsville family

Local News

YOUNGSVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – The search is on for a contractor who took thousands from a family and never completed repairs to their fire-damaged home.

CBS 17 consumer investigator Steve Sbraccia learned exclusively that an arrest warrant has been issued by Youngsville police for the owner of CMC Flooring Enterprises.

The Youngsville police investigation is one of four looking into the business practices of CMC Flooring Enterprises and it’s the first to charge the contractor.

According to a mortgage company inspector, CMC flooring took $34,000 in insurance money and left the Creager home in Youngsville only 25-percent completed before disappearing last January.

Police reports say the business is currently owned by Salvador Chavez Gutierrez.

The arrest warrant charges him with obtaining property under false pretense after “entering into a contract with an invalid contractor’s license, being paid for the repairs, and leaving the job site without completing repairs.”

The attorney general says when a contractor does that – it’s a crime.

“Anytime a business makes a representation, makes a promise to a consumer and particularly when they take money, they have to deliver on what they committed otherwise that company is engaged in misrepresentation,” said Attorney General Josh Stein. “It’s against the law.”

While the attorney general’s office, along with the state board which licenses contractors and the Department of Insurance continue their investigations, the Youngsville police department concluded its probe earlier this week.

After looking into the situation at the Creager’s home the Youngsville, the police department issued the arrest warrant for Gutierrez on Tuesday but say he’s disappeared. 

They say Gutierrez is now on the run—and they’re actively looking for him.

CBS 17 has also been trying to track him down in person with no luck, and has refused to reply to voice mails left on his phone.

However, on Wednesday and Thursday, Sbraccia had a text exchange with Gutierrez in which he refused to meet with Sbraccia, but promised to give Sbraccia his lawyer’s phone number.

That lawyer’s number was never provided by Gutierrez and repeated calls to him continue to go to voicemail.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

More Local News
More National News
More Weather
More Sports
More Check This Out
More Wake County News
More Durham County News
More Cumberland County News
More Johnston County News
More Orange County News

Don't Miss