MAXTON, N.C. (WBTW) – Divers found three bodies inside a car in a pond in Robeson County, according to Sheriff Burnis Wilkins.
Crews were called to Maxton Pond at about 2 p.m. on Tuesday after someone reported seeing two lights and a tag submerged in the water, according to Robeson County Emergency Management officials. The Queheel Fire Department and Lumberton Rescue also were called out.
After divers entered the pond, they found the car and discovered three bodies inside. The divers were still on the scene late Tuesday afternoon working with the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.
“Evidence leads us to believe it was a traffic-related incident and the highway patrol, which was already on scene, took over,” said Wilkins.
No information is available about the victims as of Wednesday morning. Officials are unsure how long the vehicle had been in the water.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Bowler adds father’s ashes to ball, rolls perfect game
- Judge makes no decision on bond for SC suspect accused in Capitol riots; FBI claims QAnon ties
- Pres. Biden, VP Harris address nation after Derek Chauvin verdict
- Las Vegas Raiders receive backlash for tweet on Chauvin verdict
- Red Flag Warning in effect for central NC; any outdoor fires could quickly grow out of control