ERWIN, N.C. (WNCN) – An investigation is underway after a small plane crashed in Harnett County on Thursday, the sheriff’s office confirmed.
The crash happened during takeoff from the Harnett Regional Jetport in Erwin. The plane, due to an unknown mechanical issue, went off the runway and into the woods, highway patrol said.
The call came in shortly before 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
The plane was a single-engine, single-seat aircraft. The pilot, Gilberto Guitarte, of Cary, believes a brake locked up.
The Highway Patrol is investigating the crash. The National Transportation Safety Board will also investigate.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man shot at apartment complex in Raleigh, police say
- Russell Weinstein comes out of retirement for 2nd time to lead upstart Faith Christian football program
- Rocky Mount woman, man arrested after drugs, guns found in car, deputies say
- Raleigh bar – site of numerous shootings, stabbings – loses alcohol permit
- 3-vehicle crash closes US 401 at Ten Ten Road for about an hour