PITTSBORO, N.C. (WNCN) — A Chatham County GOP gun raffle scheduled to happen at a 2020 candidate forum in September has been canceled.
The Republican candidate forum is still scheduled for Sept. 10 at the Barn at Fearrington Village.
Fearrington Village has since told the Chatham County Republican Party the gun raffle can not proceed at the venue.
Fearrington Village has played host to both Republican and Democratic events for several years and this was the first time a situation like this has come into play.
According to a spokesperson for Fearrington Village, they were not aware of the raffle until reading an article on CBS 17.
The forum allows voters to hear from more than a dozen candidates for statewide office ahead the March 2020 primary election.
President Donald Trump, Sen. Thom Tillis, Rep. Mark Walker and Lt. Gov. Dan Forest are included in the organization’s “representative participation” category.
Officials told the Chatham County GOP the forum can continue, just without the gun raffle.
The GOP planned on raffling off an assault-style rifle and pump-action shotgun during the event.
The Chatham County GOP has removed the raffle from its website.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Missing Wayne County inmate captured in Rocky Mount almost a week after escape
- Cardinal Gibons makes statement in blanking undefeated Cleveland, 36-0
- VOTE: The Blitz Play of the Week nominees | Week 5
- NC college student from Raleigh fights for her life after being hit by car
- Game of the Week: Clayton takes down Fuquay-Varina in shootout to win 2nd straight | Week 5
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now