FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Fayetteville police say one person is dead following a crash along Highway 87 Tuesday afternoon.
Police say around 1:41 p.m., officers responded to a crash along Highway 87 at Martin Luther King Jr. Freeway between Gillespie Street and Robeson Street.
A preliminary investigation revealed a vehicle ran off the roadway and down a ravine.
The driver, police say, was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say Highway 87 towards Ramsey Street is currently closed between Gillespie Street and Robeson Street. Motorists are encouraged to take the Eastern Blvd. exit as an alternate route. The roadway is expected to be closed throughout the evening commute.
CBS 17 has a crew on-scene finding out more details.
- NC island where Isaias made landfall attracts sightseers; residents seek privacy
- Black Lives Matter billboard beside Confederate flag in Pittsboro may come down soon
- Many near UNC seen wearing masks, socially distancing amid crackdown effort
- NC teachers rally for 2nd coronavirus relief bill that they say would help education
- Dirt bike rider seriously injured in collision with SUV in Fayetteville
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now