FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – A 2-year-old was shot Wednesday morning in a home on Mosswood Lane in Fayetteville, police said.
Officers were called to the home in the 600 block of Mosswood Lane just after 10 a.m.
The child was found by officers inside the home suffering from a gunshot wound, police said.
“I don’t have any information as to how the child was shot at this point,” said Lt. Gary Womble. “The detectives are working that angle to find out because we want to know certainly what happened to the child so that’s what they’re learning right now.”
At least three other people, two adults and possibly a teenager, were inside the home at the time of the shooting, police said.
The 2-year-old was airlifted to Chapel Hill and is currently being treated at the hospital.
The child’s condition is unknown at this time.
The circumstances surrounding the shooting were not released.
Mosswood Lane is off McArthur Road near Interstate-295 north of downtown.
Fayetteville police ask motorists to avoid the area.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Orange County school leaders to meet again after 2 hours of debating in-person learning plans
- NC to allow indoor visits at nursing homes as progress made against COVID-19
- 2 Cumberland County schools to close for cleaning after staffers test positive for COVID-19
- Does smoke exposure increase firefighters’ susceptibility to COVID-19? It’s possible, UNC researcher says
- Man wounded in Durham shooting along East Main Street, police say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now