FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Fayetteville police say the driver of the 2009 BMW 328i that struck a pedestrian and then fled the scene over the weekend, has been identified as Ricardo Antonio Morales.
Morales, 18, of Fayetteville, has been charged with felony involuntary manslaughter, felony hit and run, misdemeanor hit and run reckless driving, and speeding.
He is currently in the Cumberland County Detention Center under a $10,500 secured bond.
The deadly collision happened Saturday night as a 2009 BMW 328i was heading east on Buttermere Drive when the driver ran off the road and struck a pedestrian, the news release said.
The BMW then flipped in the front yard and the driver fled on foot, police said.
The pedestrian, Joel Camacho Ortiz, 33, of Fayettevile was transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he later died.
- Raleigh buildings light up in amber to honor lives lost to COVID-19
- Winning jackpot numbers for Mega Millions are chosen
- Pitt duo combines for 53 points to hold off Blue Devils, 79-73
- Durham city leaders pass nondiscrimination ordinance, includes hair
- Police, parents outraged over camera found inside girls changing room at Tennessee cheer studio