FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Fayetteville police say the driver of the 2009 BMW 328i that struck a pedestrian and then fled the scene over the weekend, has been identified as Ricardo Antonio Morales.
Morales, 18, of Fayetteville, has been charged with felony involuntary manslaughter, felony hit and run, misdemeanor hit and run reckless driving, and speeding.
He is currently in the Cumberland County Detention Center under a $10,500 secured bond.
The deadly collision happened Saturday night as a 2009 BMW 328i was heading east on Buttermere Drive when the driver ran off the road and struck a pedestrian, the news release said.
The BMW then flipped in the front yard and the driver fled on foot, police said.
The pedestrian, Joel Camacho Ortiz, 33, of Fayettevile was transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he later died.
- Tepper says no decision yet on future of QB Cam Newton
- Franklin County animal advocates take concerns about shelter to commissioners
- Interim chancellor: Report detailing UNC’s crime response, reporting is ‘extremely concerning’
- NC receiving funds to elevate I-95 after repeated flooding
- Habitual felon escapes prison work release assignment in Durham
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now