FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — The driver of a BMW that hit and killed a pedestrian Saturday night in Fayetteville then ran from the scene of the deadly incident, police said.
The crash happened just after 8:15 p.m. in the 6800 block of Buttermere Drive, according to a news release from Fayetteville police.
The deadly collision happened as a 2009 BMW 328i was heading east on Buttermere Drive when the driver ran off the road and struck a pedestrian, the news release said.
The BMW then flipped in the front yard and the driver fled on foot, police said.
The pedestrian, Joel Camacho Ortiz, 33, of Fayettevile was transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he later died.
“Officers with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Traffic Unit are currently on scene conducting the investigation,” the news release said.
The 6800 block of Buttermere Drive was closed. No other information was available.
Anyone with information regarding the traffic crash is asked to contact Officers with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (910) 433-1807 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
- Police officer executed in shooting in Fayetteville, Arkansas, chief says
- Early Christmas event held for pediatric cancer patients at North Hills in Raleigh
- Police in Morrisville warn of ‘porch pirates’ as deliveries spike ahead of Christmas
- NC duo planned to take teen girl from Massachusetts for ‘sexual purposes,’ deputies say
- NC family looking for a home for Christmas after crash knocks car into their house
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now