FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Officials identified the body found Sunday as the boater who went missing in the Cape Fear River on Friday, according to Fayetteville Fire officials.
Jerry Taylor, 61, of Stedman was identified as the man who went missing on Friday.
The Fayetteville Fire Department was notified shortly before 4 a.m. of a body in the water near the Person Street boat ramp. which is where Taylor was said to have gone missing.
Officials said Sunday the body found matched the description of the person who went missing. They said Friday that Taylor tried to get his boat in the water when it began drifting away. He then attempted to get in the boat as it drifted away.
The boat was reported abandoned on the water about 100 yards away from the Person Street ramp. A truck with a boat trailer was on the ramp with its engine still running, officials said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- South Johnston High School football player, two others injured in Benson shooting
- I-95 in Robeson County reopens after wreck involving 20 vehicles
- 2 killed, 8 others shot, in ‘violent incident of huge magnitude’ at SC night club
- Jerry Weakens Slightly, With Our Eyes on a Couple Other Waves
- Wake Correctional Center inmate missing from work assignment in Garner
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now