FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Four people were displaced after an apartment fire was started by a child misusing a cigarette lighter in Fayetteville Saturday morning, officials said.

The fire was reported just before 9:15 a.m. at 309-2 Family Lodge Drive at the Family Lodge Apartments, according to a news release from Fayetteville fire officials.

The fire caused $40,000 in damage to an apartment unit. 

The fire was extinguished by an activated fire sprinkler system located in a child’s bedroom, according to officials.

“After the investigation, it was determined that the fire was caused by intentional misuse of a cigarette lighter involving a child,” the news release said.

Red Cross was called to the scene to help the family of four.

No one was hurt.