FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Crews from numerous agencies are searching for a missing 60-year-old boater in the Cape Fear River in Fayetteville, the Fayetteville Fire Department said.
The call came in around 2:46 p.m. after a boater on the river reported seeing a boat abandoned on the water about 100 yards away from the Person Street boat ramp, fire officials said.
According to the Fayetteville Fire Marshal, the man tried to get his boat in the water when it began drifting away from him. He then attempted to get in the boat as it drifted away, causing him to go in the water after the boat.
“The call came from someone seeing the boater back his boat off the rap. The boat then hit a drift, making the boater to go in the water after it,” said TJ McLamb, Fayetteville Fire Marshal.
A truck with a boat trailer was still on the ramp with its engine still running.
Crews from the Fayetteville fire and police departments are joined by the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office and North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. They’re using drones and have two dive teams.
“The river is, as you can see, the river is down. The current is not too strong right now, but there is a lot of debris in the Cape Fear River,” McLamb said.
In total, there are about 30 people working on the search, fire officials said.
CBS 17 will update this story as more information is released.
- Man faces murder charge in fentanyl overdose in NC mountains
- Exclusive country club, with $95,000 initiation fee, considers giving NC mayor free membership
- Planned major announcement about NC Megasite could mean Toyota deal is done
- District attorney investigating possible assault between NC school resource officer, 2 girls
- Firefighter taken to hospital after injury while battling house fire in North Myrtle Beach