FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Homicide detectives are investigating a Fayetteville shooting on Friday in which the victim died Saturday, police say.
A shooting was reported just after 11:20 p.m. in the 800 block of Danish Drive, according to a news release from Fayetteville police.
Police arrived at the home and found a woman suffering from “an apparent gunshot wound,” the release said.
The woman, later identified as Chakita Jones, 25, was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in critical condition.
Jones was later moved to Medical Center in Chapel Hill, where she died late Saturday, police said.
“Detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Homicide Unit are actively investigating this incident,” the news release said.
Jones’ neighbors told CBS 17 she was a mother of seven with her children ranging in age from a baby to 12 years old.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Should fewer Americans get a $1,400 stimulus check?
- Durham County sheriff requiring employees to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Former Wake County deputy arrested after hours-long standoff, sheriff’s office says
- No. 20 Hokies rebound from road loss to top Notre Dame 62-51
- One Raleigh provider gearing up for mass vaccine distribution