FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Homicide detectives are investigating a Fayetteville shooting on Friday in which the victim died Saturday, police say.
A shooting was reported just after 11:20 p.m. in the 800 block of Danish Drive, according to a news release from Fayetteville police.
Police arrived at the home and found a woman suffering from “an apparent gunshot wound,” the release said.
The woman, later identified as Chakita Jones, 25, was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in critical condition.
Jones was later moved to Medical Center in Chapel Hill, where she died late Saturday, police said.
“Detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Homicide Unit are actively investigating this incident,” the news release said.
Jones’ neighbors told CBS 17 she was a mother of seven with her children ranging in age from a baby to 12 years old.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Expert provides tips on how to avoid digital eye strain while working and learning from home
- Building trust on the border: FBI director works with community to stem crime, cyber threats
- UNCW to remove ‘Black Lives Matter’ banners from campus buildings, move them to an art exhibit
- Tropical Storm Beta spurs hurricane worries for Texas
- What does the orange dot on my iPhone mean?
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now