FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – The father of a 2-year-old who was shot earlier this week inside a Fayetteville home was killed in May 2019, police said.
Alonzo Hurtado was found dead on May 7, 2019, inside a vehicle parked at Abbots Landing Apartments, police said.
Hurtado had been shot multiple times.
Fayetteville police are still investigating Hurtado’s death and are now looking into the shooting of his 2-year-old son on Wednesday.
The boy was airlifted to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill following the shooting on Mosswood Lane just after 10 a.m.
The boy remains in critical condition.
On Wednesday, Fayetteville police Lt. Gary Womble said at least three other people, two adults and possibly a teenager, were inside the home at the time of the shooting.
“I don’t have any information as to how the child was shot at this point,” said Womble. “The detectives are working that angle to find out because we want to know certainly what happened to the child so that’s what they’re learning right now.”
Fayetteville police have not provided new information on the shooting since Wednesday.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 7-year-old Jeopardy! superfan gets sweet message from Alex Trebek after dressing up as ‘mini-Trebek’ for Halloween
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- U.S. Marshals searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man in NC
- President Trump targeting rural voters in recent NC campaign stops
- ALERT DAY: Zeta remnants bring severe weather, wind to NC Thursday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now