FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — A man has been arrested for human trafficking after an undercover operation by the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office.
Shaun Dontee Spates is charged with human trafficking an adult victim and promoting prostitution, according to an arrest warrant obtained by CBS 17.
His arrest stems from an undercover prostitution deterrence operation in August 2019.
The arrest warrant states two other people solicited an undercover officer to perform sexual acts for $240.
Those people separately told the officer that they were being trafficked by Spates. Both said Spates used “physical abuse as a measure of control, such as striking the face.”
They said Spates would take most of the profits from their “dates.”
Spates is expected in court Friday. His bond is currently set at $50,000.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Sen. Bernie Sanders heads back to NC ahead of Super Tuesday
- Gibbs scores with 0.1 seconds left, Irish beat BC 62-61
- Hughes scores 25, Syracuse blows out Pittsburgh 72-49
- Clark’s 3-pointer lifts Virginia past Virginia Tech, 56-53
- House passes bill to make lynching a federal crime, 65 years after death of Emmett Till
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now