FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Fayetteville police have identified the motorcyclist and his passenger who were killed in a crash Sunday afternoon.
The motorcyclist, identified as Joseph Del Hierro, 26, of Fayetteville, was operating a 2009 Honda CBR-600 when he collided with a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport being driven by a 69-year-old Fayetteville resident, police said.
Del Hierro died from his injuries at the scene. His passenger, identified as 26-year-old Mary Moon, of Raleigh, died from her injuries after being transported from the scene, officials said.
The driver of the Hyundai was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the cause of the crash and the events leading up to it are under investigation.
Bunce Road between Portsmouth Drive and Pleasant Street was closed for hours while police investigated and cleaned up the wreckage.
No charges have been filed at this time.
Anyone with information regarding the traffic crash is asked to contact Officers with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (910) 433-1807 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477). Crimestoppers information can also be submitted electronically, by visiting http://fay-nccrimestoppers.org and completing the anonymous online tip sheet.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Thousands sign petition to remove ‘White Pride’ billboard along Arkansas highway
- Postponed by pandemic: Only 27% of Americans have taken a vacation during COVID-19
- Police searching for person who shot a woman overnight in East Raleigh
- 2-year-old facing life-threatening injuries after being shot in Charlotte
- NC high school athletes in holding pattern as NCHSAA decides on pause during pandemic
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now