FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Fayetteville police have identified the motorcyclist and his passenger who were killed in a crash Sunday afternoon.
The motorcyclist, identified as Joseph Del Hierro, 26, of Fayetteville, was operating a 2009 Honda CBR-600 when he collided with a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport being driven by a 69-year-old Fayetteville resident, police said.
Del Hierro died from his injuries at the scene. His passenger, identified as 26-year-old Mary Moon, of Raleigh, died from her injuries after being transported from the scene, officials said.
The driver of the Hyundai was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Police said the cause of the crash and the events leading up to it are under investigation.
Bunce Road between Portsmouth Drive and Pleasant Street was closed for hours while police investigated and cleaned up the wreckage.
No charges have been filed at this time.
Anyone with information regarding the traffic crash is asked to contact Officers with the Fayetteville Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (910) 433-1807 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477). Crimestoppers information can also be submitted electronically, by visiting http://fay-nccrimestoppers.org and completing the anonymous online tip sheet.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- NCDOT stopping construction on most road projects for Thanksgiving holiday
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Domino’s restaurants and Scenthound are hiring
- Former NFL star Marshawn Lynch hands out 200 Thanksgiving turkeys in Hawaii
- ‘A hero’: Charlotte man rescues little girl wandering alone in early morning
- 2-week shutdown possible in Virginia to stunt COVID-19 spread after Thanksgiving