FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Fayetteville police are investigating after a man was found shot to death in the road Thursday morning.
According to police, officers responded to Filter Plant Drive and Ames Street at 12:25 a.m. after receiving a report of an unresponsive male lying in the road.
Officers and EMS personnel found the man unresponsive at the scene and pronounced him dead.
The death is being investigated by the homicide unit. Police identified the victim as 48-year-old Maurice Williams.
According to investigators, the call originally came in to Fayetteville State University Police because the scene is near the university, but FSU police had Fayetteville police take over the investigation.
Anyone with information regarding the investigation is asked to contact the Fayetteville Police Department Homicide Detective J. Littlejohn at (910) 818-3468 or Fayetteville / Cumberland County Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
Crimestoppers information can also be submitted electronically, by visiting http://fay-nccrimestoppers.org and completing the anonymous online tip sheet.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 1 Navy serviceman dead, 5 other people wounded in US military convoy crash in Calif.
- Silver Alert issued for missing, endangered Shelby woman
- Dad of Moore County man killed outside SC airport said they were in town to sell hemp, deputies say
- Dolly Parton receives Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
- NC-based Marine sentenced for smuggling firearms to Haiti in plot to train army, become president