SPOUT SPRINGS, N.C. (WNCN) — An active-duty Fort Bragg soldier died in a motorcycle crash in Harnett County early Saturday, officials say.
The crash happened just before 2:20 a.m. on Nursery Road, which is about two miles east of the Spout Springs community, according to the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
Robert James Stevens III, 29, of Spring Lake died in the crash, said Trooper E.A. Barrera.
Stevens was an infantryman stationed at Fort Bragg, Barrera said.
The wreck happened as Stevens was driving his motorcycle around a small curve at a “high rate of speed,” Barrera said.
Stevens’ motorcycle went of the road and hit a broken down car that was also off the road, troopers said.
Stevens died at the scene.
Troopers estimated he was traveling around 90 mph during the wreck.
The disabled car was five feet off the road and broke down around 9 p.m. Friday, according to Barrera. A Harnett County deputy helped a woman driver move the car off the road, Barrera said.
- New York City EMT suffers stroke driving ambulance, then colleague who came to help has aneurysm
- Samuel Adams Halloween beer now illegal in 15 states
- 13-year-old reported missing in Cumberland County
- Police: Kentucky man beat sister with pan, killed dad with crossbow
- WATCH: Lady Gaga falls off stage after fan tries to pick her up
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now