FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – A gas leak caused homes in a Fayetteville neighborhood to evacuate and another to be sheltered in place Tuesday afternoon, the fire department said.
The natural gas leak was reported just before 1:40 p.m. along the 300 block of Shawcrowft Road, which is the King’s Grant subdivision. The Fayetteville Fire Department said a Piedmont Natural Gas crew was working on a gas line when something broke, causing a leak from the 4-inch line.
Four residences were evacuated. A fifth was sheltered in place, a news release said.
A hazmat crew was on scene assisting the gas company, the fire department said at 2:37 p.m.
Those who live in the neighborhood were being diverted to the back gate entrance.