FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — Authorities evacuated several businesses in Fayetteville near Cross Creek Mall Saturday after a crew hit and broke a gas line, officials say.
The incident was reported around 3:45 p.m. at Shoe Carnaval at 5075 Morganton Road, according to a news release from Fayetteville fire officials.
Crews were initially dispatched to the area, which is across from Cross Creek Mall, for an odor of gas.
“Upon arrival, crews found that a construction crew had struck a gas line under the parking lot,” the news release said.
Fayetteville hazmat crews and Piedmont Natural Gas workers were able to cap the leak by 6 p.m. and the shops reopened, officials said.
A T.J. Maxx and Bath & Bodyworks are also in the shopping center.