EASTOVER, N.C. (WNCN) — A home intruder stole a puppy and then returned to the house and killed a man in the home over the weekend, Cumberland County authorities said.
The incident was reported in the 1900 block of Rock Hill Road just east of Fayetteville early Sunday, according to a news release from the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office.
A witness told deputies that a man entered the house and stole her puppy from the kitchen, the news release said.
The puppy thief later returned to the home and fatally shot Roberto Lopez, according to the news release.
The witness who spoke about the puppy’s theft also named a suspect in the case.
Jordan Devon Cummings, 24, of the 170 block of Beverly Circle in Lumberton later turned himself in to Robeson County authorities, the news release said.
Cummings was taken to Cumberland County where he was charged with first-degree murder, breaking and entering, possession of stolen property, and larceny of a dog — all of which are felonies.
Cummings was held on no bail for the murder charge. Bail for the other charges was set at $25,000.
He is being held at the Cumberland County Detention Center.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- White House reaches ceasefire agreement with Turkey while lawmakers on Capitol Hill weigh sanctions bill
- Fayetteville teen at center of Amber Alert found safe
- Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook might have prevented Iraq invasion in 2003
- Advocates fear mass suicide at ICE facility in Southern NM
- Outrage over federal agencies’ biofuel mandates
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now