FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – A Fayetteville man has been arrested in Kansas and charged with murder in connection with a July 12 fatal shooting on Hope Mills Road, Fayetteville police said.
“The preliminary investigation revealed a male and female were behind the business when the suspect approached them. During a physical altercation, the suspect assaulted the female, and shot the male victim,” the news release said.
The male victim, later identified as Antonio Lorenzo Gonzales, 32, of Hope Mills, died after he was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. The female victim suffered minor injuries.
Mark Anthony Russell, 30, was arrested on July 19 in Goodland, Kansas, by Sherman County Deputies, police said. He is now charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and assault with a deadly weapon.
According to Fayetteville police, “Russell targeted Gonzales for a robbery, resulting in the shooting death of Gonzales.”
Russell is awaiting extradition from Kansas.
Anyone with information regarding this shooting investigation is asked to contact Detective J. Arnold at (910) 676-5793 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477). Crimestoppers information can also be submitted electronically, by visiting http://fay-nccrimestoppers.org and completing the anonymous online tip sheet.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Raleigh buildings light up in amber to honor lives lost to COVID-19
- Winning jackpot numbers for Mega Millions are chosen
- Pitt duo combines for 53 points to hold off Blue Devils, 79-73
- Durham city leaders pass nondiscrimination ordinance, includes hair
- Police, parents outraged over camera found inside girls changing room at Tennessee cheer studio