FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — A teen boy died and two other people including a woman were wounded in a shootout in Fayetteville early Tuesday evening, police said.
The incident was reported just after 6:10 p.m. in the 1900-block of Tryon Drive, according to a news release from Fayetteville police.
The initial call was that “several subjects that were shot,” the news release said.
Officials also said “a disturbance started between groups of subjects. During the disturbance, gunfire was exchanged resulting in the victims being struck.”
Jaheem Smith, 17, of St. Pauls, was found dead at the scene.
A woman was taken to a nearby hospital with serious injuries, according to the news release.
Another person was taken to a nearby hospital in a private vehicle.
Police said on Wednesday morning that the two injured victims are both in stable condition at the hospital. Their identities are being withheld at this time.
Anyone with information regarding the homicide investigation is asked to contact Detective S. Catlett with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 818-2543 or the Fayetteville / Cumberland County Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down Rock Quarry Road in Raleigh
- 2 vehicles drive into crowd protesting Breonna Taylor’s killing; at least 1 hit
- What both sides are saying about a peaceful transition of power
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle, killed in Fayetteville Friday morning, police say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now