FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — A teen boy died and two other people including a woman were wounded in a shootout in Fayetteville early Tuesday evening, police said.
The incident was reported just after 6:10 p.m. in the 1900-block of Tryon Drive, according to a news release from Fayetteville police.
The initial call was that “several subjects that were shot,” the news release said.
Officials also said “a disturbance started between groups of subjects. During the disturbance, gunfire was exchanged resulting in the victims being struck.”
Jaheem Smith, 17, of St. Pauls, was found dead at the scene.
A woman was taken to a nearby hospital with serious injuries, according to the news release.
Another person was taken to a nearby hospital in a private vehicle.
Police said on Wednesday morning that the two injured victims are both in stable condition at the hospital. Their identities are being withheld at this time.
Anyone with information regarding the homicide investigation is asked to contact Detective S. Catlett with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 818-2543 or the Fayetteville / Cumberland County Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Prosecution’s case against ex-cop in Floyd death nears end
- WATCH: Thief on motorcycle rips necklace off woman in middle of NYC crosswalk
- FEMA launches funeral assistance program, reimbursing families up to $9,000 for COVID-19 deaths
- Johnston County school bus involved in crash, 4 students injured, officials say
- Sponsored Content: NC DHHS Vaccine Safety