WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WNCN/WFMY) - Johnathan Gilmore, a freshman at Winston-Salem State University, died in a fiery crash in Fayetteville on Saturday.
Gilmore was a tight end on the Winston-Salem State University football team.
According to a post on the university's football Instagram account, Gilmore died in a wreck after going to see his former high school team's playoff game.
Gilmore was one of two killed in the three-car wreck on Bingham Drive around 4 p.m.
One of the three cars involved in the crash burst into flames, police said.
Police have not released the identity of the two killed in the crash, but Winston-Salem State University confirmed that Gilmore was one of those who died.
This is the second WSSU player to die this year following the death of Najee Baker, a defensive end who died after being shot at a party in Wake Forest in January.
It is with a heavy heart that we announce the death of one of our own, Johnathan Gilmore. Please continue to keep @wssu1892, @wssu_athletics_ and this team in your prayers due to the passing of our football brother on and off the field. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jonathan's family during this time. #FootballisFamily #WeSeeRed #OurFootballAngel #CIAA #WSSU
- Minister calls for peace after 1 dead, 6 others hurt in weekend Durham shootings
- 4 days left for NC farmers to apply for assistance following hurricanes Florence, Michael
- Police investigating homicide after man found dead in Durham
- Some Wake County students attend school on Saturday to make up for canceled days
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- NC aunt pleads guilty to lesser charge in toddler's brutal beating death
- NC man sought after twice punching fire chief in the face at crash scene, police say
- EMS worker injured after NC ambulance driver falls asleep at wheel, crashes, police say
- Man boarding flight at NC airport killed in shooting, 1 in custody