SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WNCN) — Two Spring Lake men face animal cruelty charges after police say they locked a puppy inside of a cage for nearly a month without food or water.
A dead puppy, aged around 12-to-16 weeks old was found inside of a cage at an apartment complex on Dec. 27, 2019, according to apartment managers.
Spring Lake Police Chief Troy McDuffie told CBS 17 the dog belonged to Demareo James.
James was arrested Monday and faces charges of felony animal cruelty in the dog’s death.
A second man, Sha’Ron I. Rogers, 21, was also charged with felony kill Animal by starvation and misdemeanor abandonment of an animal.
As of Tuesday afternoon, Rogers has not been taken into custody.
Police say that both men knew that the puppy was caged up in the apartment. Neither men went back to check on the dog or take care of it, police say.
Police did not specify which apartment complex was involved in the case.
This is a developing story.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Trump to visit North and South Carolina ahead of primaries
- How cold weather can impact those with sensory concerns
- California firefighter killed in library fire identified; 2 teens arrested for arson
- Snowy forecast brings mixed reviews for Raleigh residents
- Ryan Newman ‘alert and walking around’ after horrific crash at Daytona 500
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now