HOPE MILLS, N.C. (WNCN) — A woman died and another was injured in a house fire in Cumberland County early Saturday, officials said.
The incident was reported around 3:35 a.m. at 2561 Lakeview Drive near Hope Mills, according to a news release from Stoney Point Fire Department.
When crews first arrived, they found a single-wide mobile home already on fire, officials said.
Donna Leslie Parker, 53, was later found dead inside the home, according to the news release.
A 26-year-old woman suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated on the scene by paramedics.
The woman who survived said she was awakened by a cat and other noises from the fire in the home.
“She immediately exited her bedroom and attempted to arouse Parker in her bedroom but was unable to awaken or arouse Parker,” the news release said.
Fire crews from the Cotton, Cumberland Road, and Hope Mills Fire Departments along with Puppy Creek and Rockfish Fire Departments from Hoke County assisted Stoney Creek Fire Department.
Officials are investigating the cause of the fire.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Warning issued for Johnston County as minor flooding forecasted for Wednesday
- Starting Tuesday, Pizza Hut is giving away free pizza to 2020 grads
- Wilson gym owner re-opens, plans to file lawsuit against Gov. Cooper
- Families pay their respects at Raleigh National Cemetery on Memorial Day
- Butner inmate dies 3 days after testing positive for COVID-19, officials say