FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) — A woman died and another person was injured in a house fire in Fayetteville Friday night, officials say.
The incident was reported around 11:30 p.m. Friday at a home at 7534 Decatur Dr., according to news releases from the Fayetteville Fire Department.
Fire search crews removed two victims from the fire and the blaze was “quickly” extinguished, officials said.
However, Racquel McKoy, 36, died at the scene, the news release said.
Odell Bethea, 34, was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center but was later transferred to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center.
Bethea suffered serious injuries in the fire, officials said.
“Smoke alarms were found in the home but did not appear to have been in working condition at the time of the fire,” a news release said.
Officials said the fire started in the “kitchen area” of the home.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Traffic collision snarls traffic on Raleigh’s Falls of Neuse Road
- Time to safely share some turkey
- Country artist Hal Ketchum dies from complications of dementia
- Roasted, deep-fried, or smoked – How does your state cook Thanksgiving turkey?
- Woman, 2-year-old child held at gunpoint during armed robbery, Goldsboro police say