DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — One passenger was killed and another was seriously injured in a single-vehicle crash Saturday night.
The wreck happened along Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard near Academy Road just before 9 p.m., according to police.
The backseat passenger who was killed has been identified as 53 year-old Gregory Alston of Durham.
Police say 41 year-old Devin Hopkins was driving a 2005 Ford Focus when he ran off the left side of the road. Hopkins then overcorrected, causing the vehicle to spin 180 degrees and slide a long distance, police say. The vehicle came to a rest when the rear left corner of the vehicle struck a bridge column.
Alston was the rear left passenger and was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The front seat passenger was seriously injured and transported to the hospital.
Hopkins sustained minor injuries and was treated at the hospital.
Devin Hopkins has been charged with felony death by motor vehicle and felony serious injury by motor vehicle. He was placed in the Durham County Jail under a $50,000 bond.
Police say speed and alcohol were both suspected factors in the crash.
- Moore County Sheriff’s Office phone lines restored after brief outage
- Fayetteville woman charged after mother-in-law found deceased following domestic disturbance
- Blitz High School Football Scoreboard | Playoff semifinals
- Leesville Road ends Wake Forest’s 3 years of domination, advances to 1st state championship game
- Cardinal Gibbons downs Scotland, earns spot in state championship game
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now