DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — One passenger was killed and another was seriously injured in a single-vehicle crash Saturday night.
The wreck happened along Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard near Academy Road just before 9 p.m., according to police.
The backseat passenger who was killed has been identified as 53 year-old Gregory Alston of Durham.
Police say 41 year-old Devin Hopkins was driving a 2005 Ford Focus when he ran off the left side of the road. Hopkins then overcorrected, causing the vehicle to spin 180 degrees and slide a long distance, police say. The vehicle came to a rest when the rear left corner of the vehicle struck a bridge column.
Alston was the rear left passenger and was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The front seat passenger was seriously injured and transported to the hospital.
Hopkins sustained minor injuries and was treated at the hospital.
Devin Hopkins has been charged with felony death by motor vehicle and felony serious injury by motor vehicle. He was placed in the Durham County Jail under a $50,000 bond.
Police say speed and alcohol were both suspected factors in the crash.
- Wake County Schools moves forward with re-opening plan
- Kansas GOP congressman charged with 3 felonies, including voter fraud
- Woman in Wendy’s is killed when drunk driver plows into restaurant, police say
- White House touts infrastructure agenda ahead of Trump’s trip to Georgia
- Ford unveils new Bronco, says website overwhelmed by ‘stampede of reservations’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now