DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A man was shot and killed while driving Wednesday night in Durham, police said.
A child and four adults were injured after the victim crashed his car. The child and three of the adults are expected to recover, but police said the fourth adult is in critical condition.
Police said Liberty Street was closed between Elizabeth and Elm streets as officers investigate the deadly shooting, which happened around 7:30 p.m Wednesday.
CBS 17’s Crystal Price observed a wrecked car at the scene. It wasn’t immediately clear what happened to cause the crash or leading up to the shooting.
A witness at the scene said they heard nine or 10 gunshots and that they sounded like they were coming from two different guns.
The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more information is released.
The deadly shooting is the continuation of a year-long trend in Durham that has seen the city surpass a number of its violent crime metrics from a year ago. As of Nov. 7, Durham police said 274 people had been shot in the city throughout 2020 — marking an increase of more than 100 shootings compared to 2019.
|Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator I. Harton at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29332 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves|
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Fake drugs? Substance found in car from police auction was initially believed to be $300K in heroin
- Capitol riot arrests: What we know about these notable suspects
- Real estate agent who took private jet to D.C. is charged in Capitol riot; has self-help book canceled
- Cabarrus County school board member says she’s being harassed over decision to reopen schools
- 5 months after Colonial Pipeline gas leak, Huntersville neighbors discover clean-up could take years