DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Durham police are investigating a fatal crash on Interstate 40 east that occurred Monday morning, according to a press release.
The crash happened just after 4 a.m. on I-40 east between N.C. Highway 54 and N.C. Highway 751 when a vehicle was heading west in the eastbound lane of I-40 and slammed into a tractor-trailer, police said.
The driver of the vehicle, Victoria Lynn Jones, 26, of Graham died at the scene.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, a 34-year-old man, did not suffer any visible injuries, police said.
An unoccupied police cruiser was also hit at the scene, officials said. The police vehicle was not involved in the original crash and no one was injured.
Two lanes of I-40 east were closed until just before 11 a.m. and traffic was backed up for several miles.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Far-right groups becoming more localized in North Carolina
- South Carolina woman charged with murdering husband released from jail on bond
- Widow of congressman-elect who died of COVID-19 complications can run for his seat
- Biden ordering stopgap relief as talks start on big stimulus plan
- Coronavirus guidelines now the rule at the White House