DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Durham police are investigating a fatal crash on Interstate 40 east that occurred Monday morning, according to a press release.
The crash happened just after 4 a.m. on I-40 east between N.C. Highway 54 and N.C. Highway 751 when a vehicle was heading west in the eastbound lane of I-40 and slammed into a tractor-trailer, police said.
The driver of the vehicle, Victoria Lynn Jones, 26, of Graham died at the scene.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, a 34-year-old man, did not suffer any visible injuries, police said.
An unoccupied police cruiser was also hit at the scene, officials said. The police vehicle was not involved in the original crash and no one was injured.
Two lanes of I-40 east were closed until just before 11 a.m. and traffic was backed up for several miles.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Key, Clark lead Virginia past Boston College, 78-65
- Devoe shakes off injury, leads Georgia Tech past Wake Forest
- No. 11 Louisville routs Syracuse 90-66 to end 2-game slide
- Family, community hails crossing guard hit and killed as ‘hero’ after saving 2 students
- NICU nurse treating baby also cared for his father 3 decades ago
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now