DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — A woman is dead after being run over by her own vehicle when it was hit by a suspected impaired driver in Durham, police said.
Authorities received a call regarding the crash at 2:57 a.m. and responded to the 2400-block of S. Miami Boulevard to work the scene.
Police said, according to an investigative report filed at the scene, Leydi Eliane Salazar-Camargo’s Ford Explorer broke down before she was killed.
Salazar-Camargo turned on her vehicle’s flashers and got out of her Explorer to check the front when a Honda Accord plowed into the SUV.
The Explorer was pushed over Salazar-Camargo – killing her, police said.
Antonio Demetrius Powell, 48, was behind the wheel of the Accord at the time of the collision, Durham police said. He suffered minor injuries.
Three people who were in the Explorer ran from the scene.
Jesus Meija, 26, was found at a convenience store more than a mile from the crash site.
He was treated for head and facial injuries.
The two others in the Explorer have not been found.
Powell was charged with driving while impaired, no insurance, and displaying a revoked license tag.
S. Miami Boulevard was shutdown for five hours.
This is the second time in as many days that someone was hit and killed after experiencing car trouble on the road in our area. A Durham man was hit and killed on Interstate 85 Monday morning after fixing a flat tire on his vehicle.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Woman shot at Thanksgiving family gathering in Raleigh; fines possible for COVID-19 violations, police say
- Family of woman hit by car after deadly shooting in Durham says he’s always worried for their safety
- Justin Timberlake donates new wheelchair accessible van for Tennessee teen
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments
- Child dead, 3 injured after house fire in South Carolina