DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Durham police are investigating a crash involving a motorcycle that left one man dead and a woman critically injured.
According to police, officers responded to a crash just before 11 p.m. at the intersection of Fayetteville Road and Stratford Lakes Drive.
A 2018 Harley Davidson being driven by a 32-year-old Durham man was stopped at the intersection when it was hit from behind by a 2016 Honda Accord, police said.
A 31-year-old woman was a passenger on the Harley. Both she and her husband were taken to Duke University Hospital where the man was then pronounced dead, according to authorities.
The woman suffered life-threatening injuries and is currently listed in critical condition, police said.
The driver of the Accord, Timothy Long, 26, of Durham, and his passenger were not injured in the crash.
Long was cited for misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and failure to reduce speed to avoid colliding with a vehicle. After being cited, Long was released from the scene, police said.
Alcohol was a factor, according to authorities, and the crash is still under investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 3 Wake County high schools confirm COVID-19 case associated with athletics
- Man buys car for stranger after learning of ‘distraught’ single mother’s plight
- Idaho men charged with conspiring to sell hard-to-trace guns in North Carolina
- Lara Trump and ‘Diamond and Silk’ to appear in Johnston County Wednesday
- Police investigate after witness reports woman assaulted, abducted in Fayetteville
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now