Candle sets couch on fire, destroys Durham apartment, officials say; 2 displaced

Durham County News

DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — Two people were displaced after a couch caught fire and spread to the rest of their apartment Friday morning in Durham, fire officials said.

The fire department was dispatched to a structure fire at 3611 University Drive at approximately 1:41 a.m. Once on scene, firefighters found smoke showing from the door of a third-floor apartment.

Officials said the fire was quickly put out and had been contained to only that one apartment. The apartment suffered heavy damage inside. There was slight water and smoke damage outside the apartment.

The fire started when one of the residents left the apartment to run an errand and an unattended candle set the couch on fire, officials said.

Fire officials said it’s important to remember to keep candles at least one foot from anything that can burn.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss