DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – 7:30 p.m. UPDATE
Emergency management officials in Durham say the firefighters were dispatched to a hazardous materials spill at the intersection of North Roxboro Road and Latta Road.
Upon arriving, the responders were met by a gentleman who was on his way to deliver Sodium Hypochlorite to a local residential swimming pool.
While braking at the stoplight, a valve sheared off which caused the contents of the container to release, officials say.
There were approximately 330 gallons of the product in the tank and all of it spilled and made its way to a nearby storm drain.
Approximately 23 Durham firefighters responded to the scene to handle the incident. The spill was diluted until it was safe and no longer posing any hazard to people or the environment.
All lanes of North Roxboro Road were closed for about one hour while operations were undertaken.
Sodium Hypochlorite is a chlorine-like chemical that is used in household bleach, swimming pools, and to treat drinking water at water plants.
No injuries were reported in the spill.
Once the spill was completely diluted, all roads were re-opened and all fire units cleared the scene. It took about two hours to handle the incident in total, emergency management officials say.
6:40 p.m. UPDATE
Emergency management officials say North Roxboro Road and Latta Road is now open after a 300-gallon pool chlorine spill into a storm drain.
A spill of more than 300 gallons of pool chlorine has forced Durham firefighters to shut down the intersection of North Roxboro and Infinity roads.
The spill of 330 gallons of sodium hypochlorite 12.5-percent solution occurred at 4:30 p.m.
The chlorine went into a storm drain which created an active HAZMAT scene.
No one was injured in the spill but North Roxboro Road is shut down at that intersection. Motorists are advised to avoid the area.
This story will be updated.