DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – A Durham disabled veteran’s wheelchair ramp outside his home was destroyed by a drunk driver on Saturday morning, police said.
Authorities responded to a crash at a home in the 2500-block of Holloway Street at around 3 a.m.
Police said the driver was drunk when they crashed their car into the wheelchair ramp outside the veteran’s home. The driver didn’t suffer any injuries in the crash.
The vehicle involved in the crash didn’t suffer much damage, but the 45-year-old veteran’s wheelchair ramp is now a mangled mess.
The man told CBS 17 he woke up to a loud bang and went outside to find a car had destroyed his ramp.
The veteran said he was extremely upset because getting out of his house will now be very difficult for him.
The crash remains under investigation, police said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now