DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Police are asking drivers to find an alternate route after a tractor-trailer tore down low-hanging powerlines on Highway 55 in downtown Durham early Wednesday.
Highway 55/Alston Avenue is closed from Lawson Street to Cecil Street along the campus of North Carolina Central University.
The tractor-trailer hit the low hanging powerlines, which caused a transformer to blow out.
CBS 17 has a crew on the scene and will update this story as it develops.
No word on when the road will reopen.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- At least 4 Fayetteville Goodyear employees test positive for COVID-19
- Wilson man dies after being shot in 911 caller’s front yard, police say
- Work-at-home offers are the most-common scam while many in NC are unemployed, BBB says
- Raleigh police investigating hazmat situation at nursing home
- At least 1 pulled from surf at NC coast amid rip current risk