DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Police are asking drivers to find an alternate route after a tractor-trailer tore down low-hanging powerlines on Highway 55 in downtown Durham early Wednesday.
Highway 55/Alston Avenue is closed from Lawson Street to Cecil Street along the campus of North Carolina Central University.
The tractor-trailer hit the low hanging powerlines, which caused a transformer to blow out.
CBS 17 has a crew on the scene and will update this story as it develops.
No word on when the road will reopen.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man injured in shooting near downtown Raleigh
- Pedestrian hit on I-40 causes westbound lanes to close near US-70
- Durham family, police ask for help locating missing woman
- No. 2 Duke rolls past Central Arkansas 105-54 for 3-0 start
- Deputies: Florida man dead after running from deputies, getting naked, crashing cop car