DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — A driver was taken into custody by the Durham County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday morning after crashing their SUV through a fence and into a pond, authorities said.
According to the sheriff’s office, a deputy passed an SUV that was driving erratically on Horton Road early on Wednesday. When the deputy turned around to make a traffic stop, the driver had already crashed their SUV through a fence and into a pond near the intersection of Horton and Hillandale roads.
A deputy who spoke with CBS 17 reporter Crystal Price said the driver tried to run from the scene but deputies were able to capture and detain the person.
Authorities said they’re not sure why the driver tried to run or what, if any, charges they will face.
Durham police are assisting the sheriff’s office with the investigation into the crash.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Getting Answers: Can your employer make you get the COVID-19 vaccine?
- NC’s emergency management director talks one year of COVID-19
- Getting Answers: COVID-19 in NC one year later
- Lorentz’s 1st NHL goal is difference as ‘Canes end road trip with win over Predators
- Triangle-area health department officials react to move to vaccinate rest of frontline workers