DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) — All offices of the Durham County Human Services were evacuated by 11:30 a.m. Friday because of a gas leak, according to Durham officials.
A statement on social media said that the gas leak that prompted the evacuation was caused by construction crew workers hitting a nearby gas line.
Just after 1 p.m., Durham Deputy Fire Chief Chris Iannuzzi said Dominion Energy is working to cap the gas leak. He said a construction crew damaged a two-inch gas line during construction at the parking lot across from the Durham County Health Department building.
An estimated 600 people were evacuated from the building around 11:30 when a low level of gas readings were detected in the stairwell across from the leak.
Dominion Energy had to cut off the gas and repair the gas line. Durham police said all roads in the area reopened around 3:10 p.m.
Workers in the building were sent home for the day and the building will not reopen Friday, officials said.
The building will reopen with normal business hours on Monday.
There were no injuries reported and about 20 firefighters are on scene, assisted by DPD, Durham County Emergency Management, Durham County General Services, and DCEM.